Thread poster: Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:26
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 23, 2019

I have a client who sends me work via their platform. They provide me with an user name and a password for the online version of Memsource, where I can find the 'prepared' files and their (mostly useless) server based TM.

What frustates me most, is the fact that the online version of Memsource is very slow, cut and paste with your mouse is impossible and above all I can't use my own resources (= TM/TB).

A moment ago I read the post "How to translate Memsource projects
... See more
I have a client who sends me work via their platform. They provide me with an user name and a password for the online version of Memsource, where I can find the 'prepared' files and their (mostly useless) server based TM.

What frustates me most, is the fact that the online version of Memsource is very slow, cut and paste with your mouse is impossible and above all I can't use my own resources (= TM/TB).

A moment ago I read the post "How to translate Memsource projects in memoQ", and I was wondering if there is a way to do the same in Studio? I can download the XLIFF, and translate it in Trados, but that is as far as I get. To get it all back into Memsource, I should cut and paste the whole translation. That is not an option.

Anybody tried?
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Memsource editor Mar 23, 2019

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Anybody tried?

Hoi Robert,

I´m confronted with nearly the same problem and I hate to use online tools too , because of the same reasons you mentioned.
You should download and install Memsource Editor, which makes things a bit easier. You will then also easier be able to export and import the mxliff file for processing it in Studio, but that would be possible in the online edition too. Perhaps you also need to implement the Memsource plug-in for Studio. For using Memsource files in Deja Vu I had to rename the *.mxliff file into *.xliff only and I had to create regex entries in the filter settings. You may need to do that as well for Studio, but I failed at that point. Don´t forget to re-rename your *.xliff into *.mxliff, when finished, before you upload the file again in Memsource.

kd42

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Upload the translated files via the offline Memsource Editor Mar 23, 2019

Hello Robert,

Since you can download the bilingual files from the online version (indeed, this feature is sometimes disabled), you can open the translated files in the offline version of Memsource (Memsource Editor - https://www.memsource.com/download/ ) and upload them back to the server.

In more detail:

Note: I haven’t actually tried this in SDL Trados, bu
... See more
Hello Robert,

Since you can download the bilingual files from the online version (indeed, this feature is sometimes disabled), you can open the translated files in the offline version of Memsource (Memsource Editor - https://www.memsource.com/download/ ) and upload them back to the server.

In more detail:

Note: I haven’t actually tried this in SDL Trados, but in CafeTran Espresso. There might be some additional Trados-specific steps.

For example, check this out: https://help.memsource.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003484232-Translating-MXLIFF-Documents-in-Other-Tools-and-the-Known-Issues ).

Available Memsource-related plugins: https://appstore.sdl.com/list/?search=memsource . Also here: https://help.memsource.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019249872-Memsource-Plugin-for-SDL-Trados-Studio

- Download the MXLIFF files from the Memsource Cloud account (Go to the project’s dashboard, check the files you wish to download and click on the Download button).
- Create a working folder and copy the bilingual MXLIFF files.
- Translate the files in SDL Trados.
- Launch Memsource Editor and connect with the same Memsource credentials.
- Open one MXLIFF file at a time.
- (Recommended) Run Memsource’s QA checks and/or run bilingual file export/import operation as needed. - (Recommended) At this point, you can also confirm segments in Memsource: https://help.memsource.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003484832-Confirming-Segments
- Upload the MXLIFF file to the Memsource server via Document > Upload to server in Memsource Editor.
- Repeat for each file.
- Finalize the project in Memsource Cloud.

This last step generally requires the following actions:

- Check that all files are 100% confirmed. (You might be able to set the confirmed status in SDL Trados, if not, you will find instructions in the Memsource manual).
- if you need to upload the target files to a server upon project completion, use Download > Completed file.
- Click on Edit and change the Status to “Completed by Linguist”.

Hope it helps,

Jean

[Edited at 2019-03-24 05:31 GMT]
Collapse

Simon Cole
Simon Cole  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:26
Member (2008)
French to English
Agency responsibility Mar 25, 2019

I have one agency customer using memsource. In fact, they initially 'recommended' I get Studio back in 2009 (what fun we had with the first release!) and they are now transitioning to memsource. Studio is my main/only CAT tool.
I use the memsource desktop editor which is faster than the online editor. The desktop editor connects to the agency's resources (TM, TB, etc.). For me, one big issue with memsource is the QA check routine. When I 'ignore' a spelling query (company name, person's na
... See more
I have one agency customer using memsource. In fact, they initially 'recommended' I get Studio back in 2009 (what fun we had with the first release!) and they are now transitioning to memsource. Studio is my main/only CAT tool.
I use the memsource desktop editor which is faster than the online editor. The desktop editor connects to the agency's resources (TM, TB, etc.). For me, one big issue with memsource is the QA check routine. When I 'ignore' a spelling query (company name, person's name, anything unusual or not in the dictionary), this action only 'ignores' this one occurrence. So if a name appears in the file 50 times, I have to 'ignore' it 50 times.
As far as using my own resources is concerned, I have told the agency that I am not using my own TMs and TBs, as they are not connected to the project. While I use other local and online resources that I normally use for research, etc., I have made it clear I will not keep Studio and Multiterm Desktop open at the same time and search TMs and TBs separately for my usual translation preferences in terms of terminology and segment matches, etc. This is their responsibility.
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Their responsibility? Mar 25, 2019

Simon Cole wrote:

I use the memsource desktop editor which is faster than the online editor. The desktop editor connects to the agency's resources (TM, TB, etc.). For me, one big issue with memsource is the QA check routine. When I 'ignore' a spelling query (company name, person's name, anything unusual or not in the dictionary), this action only 'ignores' this one occurrence. So if a name appears in the file 50 times, I have to 'ignore' it 50 times.
As far as using my own resources is concerned, I have told the agency that I am not using my own TMs and TBs, as they are not connected to the project. While I use other local and online resources that I normally use for research, etc., I have made it clear I will not keep Studio and Multiterm Desktop open at the same time and search TMs and TBs separately for my usual translation preferences in terms of terminology and segment matches, etc. This is their responsibility.

If I understand you correctly, it is the agencies own fault when the translation is of lesser quality, because you are not working with your CAT of preference?

If that is the case, I disagree. It is your free choice to accept a job or not. When you accept a job, it is YOUR responsibility to deliver quality, regardless of the CAT being used.

[Edited at 2019-03-25 10:24 GMT]

Abdullah A. Hasan, Ph.D.

kd42
kd42
Estonia
Local time: 13:26
English to Russian
The solution is extremely simple - Export Mar 25, 2019

I agree with the advice to download and use the desktop editor.
It allows you to export the data as a bilingual Word document.
The document is a collection of 1000-row tables (or a shorter single table, if your project is short).
You can sort the tables and use the exact matches to generate a TM.
You can use fuzzy matches as reference or building a glossary.
You can copy the "Source" column into a new document and translate it with any CAT tool, then paste the trans
... See more
The document is a collection of 1000-row tables (or a shorter single table, if your project is short).
You can copy the "Source" column into a new document and translate it with any CAT tool, then paste the translation into the "Target" column.
Don't ruin the Memsource tags -- {1>; {1}, etc., although the Memsource quality check will alert you.
Import the document with the properly translated "Target" column into Memsource Editor.
Be sure to run the quality check.
Very little extra effort for an extra client.
HTH
Collapse

Jo Macdonald

Joanna Waller
Joanna Waller
Local time: 11:26
French to English
+ ...
Memsource files - thanks Jul 3, 2020

Faced with the same problem this morning, instant help from this forum. I totally agree about using on-line tools, especially Memsource which is low, clunky, little or no functionality, multiple keystrokes for the simplest task, and you're dependent on the paucity of resources available to the client.

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Thanks for that Kd Jul 3, 2020

I've been doing exactly this with bilingual Word docs in two columns some clients have been sending me for years. I suspected they were Memsource but wasn't sure.
You can copy the "Source" column into a new document and translate it with any CAT tool, then paste the translation into the "Target" column.

It definitely works to copy the first column into a clean Word doc, translate this in Studio, then paste the translation into the second column of the bilingual doc because no
... See more
I've been doing exactly this with bilingual Word docs in two columns some clients have been sending me for years. I suspected they were Memsource but wasn't sure.

It definitely works to copy the first column into a clean Word doc, translate this in Studio, then paste the translation into the second column of the bilingual doc because none of my clients ever complained they couldn't import the file back into their CAT again.

This way you can use your own more efficient CAT and TMs.

kd42 wrote:

Don't ruin the Memsource tags -- {1>; {1}, etc., although the Memsource quality check will alert you.
Import the document with the properly translated "Target" column into Memsource Editor.
Be sure to run the quality check.
Very little extra effort for an extra client.
HTH
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How to translate Memsource projects in Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »