JuliaGoellnitz
JuliaGoellnitz
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:32
English to German
+ ...
Feb 4, 2021

Hi guys!
I wonder if you can help. I am trying to import a SDL package which is 0.99 GB and the import is incredibly slow. The file is on my PC, so no server issues. I know it is quite a big file (god knows why to be honest) but I am expecting a much bigger project tomorrow and thus also expect the new package to be much much bigger (this current file is only about a sixth of the other one so I don't know why it is so big) - I am really concerned about the slow pace of importing. I haven'
... See more
Hi guys!
I wonder if you can help. I am trying to import a SDL package which is 0.99 GB and the import is incredibly slow. The file is on my PC, so no server issues. I know it is quite a big file (god knows why to be honest) but I am expecting a much bigger project tomorrow and thus also expect the new package to be much much bigger (this current file is only about a sixth of the other one so I don't know why it is so big) - I am really concerned about the slow pace of importing. I haven't got time to waste and the client insists I use the package.

Is that normal? Anything I can do? My MemoQ version isn't the newest bu I can't see the exact version number.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:32
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It can take time Feb 4, 2021

Yes, it can take a while, and 1 GB is quite a package indeed.

If you feel you could do with an import on SDL Studio itself, just drop me a line and we can try to open the package in Studio and send you XLIFF files + TMX for translation.

JuliaGoellnitz
JuliaGoellnitz
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:32
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 4, 2021

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:

Yes, it can take a while, and 1 GB is quite a package indeed.

If you feel you could do with an import on SDL Studio itself, just drop me a line and we can try to open the package in Studio and send you XLIFF files + TMX for translation.

I will see if the client can send me this. I honestly have no idea why this smallish job has a package that is 1gb big.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:32
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Out of Studio Feb 4, 2021

The client should be able to send you a TMX of the memory and the SDLXLIFF file(s), both of which you can easily import into memoQ.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:32
English to Russian
Investigate your package Feb 7, 2021

JuliaGoellnitz wrote:
I honestly have no idea why this smallish job has a package that is 1gb big.
You can find it out. Make a copy of your source package. Rename sdlppx to zip, then unzip the archive. See what is inside the folders and which one of them is the biggest contributor in terms of size.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing local SDL package incredibly slow

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »