Hazel Underwood
Hazel Underwood  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:42
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Feb 13, 2020

I'm posting on behalf of Settled, the charity set up in the UK to help EU27 citizens with their settled status applications. The charity is desperately short of volunteers from Eastern Europe, i.e. Polish, Lithuanian, Romanian speakers.

There are many vulnerable citizens the charity needs to reach out to, many of whom have limited English, to ensure that they complete their EUSS applications on time and correctly and thus maintain the right to stay in the UK post-Brexit.

... See more
I'm posting on behalf of Settled, the charity set up in the UK to help EU27 citizens with their settled status applications. The charity is desperately short of volunteers from Eastern Europe, i.e. Polish, Lithuanian, Romanian speakers.

There are many vulnerable citizens the charity needs to reach out to, many of whom have limited English, to ensure that they complete their EUSS applications on time and correctly and thus maintain the right to stay in the UK post-Brexit.

If you would be willing to volunteer some of your time (you would be trained and accredited to give basic legal advice) the charity would be extremely grateful.

https://settled.org.uk/en/volunteer/
Collapse

Tom in London

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I support this Feb 13, 2020

I strongly support this- unfortunately I personally cannot help because my second language (Italian) is already well catered for in relation to the "settled status" problem so I hope that speakers of Romanian, Polish, and Lithuanian will come forward.

Do they need to be physically in the UK or can they do this work online?

[Edited at 2020-02-13 11:53 GMT]

Hazel Underwood
Hazel Underwood  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
UK based Feb 13, 2020

Hi Tom,

Yes, unfortunately volunteers will need to be physically in the UK. Hungarian is another one they are short of people for.

Thanks anyway!

Hazel

Tom in London wrote:

I strongly support this- unfortunately I personally cannot help because my second language (Italian) is already well catered for in relation to the "settled status" problem so I hope that speakers of Romanian, Polish, and Lithuanian will come forward.

Do they need to be physically in the UK or can they do this work online?

[Edited at 2020-02-13 11:53 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
People in London Feb 13, 2020

https://www.internations.org/london-expats/hungarians

https://londynek.net/en/

https://www.internations.org/london-expats/romanians

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Donations Feb 13, 2020

If it's really so important, why don't such citizens or an organization pay for the service?
Toss the coin rightly, letting them decide it for themselves.

While people’s lives in UK allegedly are not always simple and straightforward, does the country really need more those who (1) have difficulties with the papers, (2) can't make an online application, (3) can't not only speak but also understand English, or (4) where making an application
... See more
If it's really so important, why don't such citizens or an organization pay for the service?
Toss the coin rightly, letting them decide it for themselves.

While people’s lives in UK allegedly are not always simple and straightforward, does the country really need more those who (1) have difficulties with the papers, (2) can't make an online application, (3) can't not only speak but also understand English, or (4) where making an application could impact on other issues?

IMO

[Edited at 2020-02-13 16:23 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Settled Status Applications - Volunteers Needed

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »