Would an US/UK agency hire a Croatian translator in-house?
Thread poster: Franjo Varšić
Franjo Varšić
Franjo Varšić
Croatia
Aug 18, 2017

My hope is to find in-house employment with an agency (or a different type of business that needs a translator) in the UK or US and I'm wondering how realistic is this?

I think there's two issues:

I don't know how common is it for agencies in US/UK to hire in-house translators (particular ones with English Croatian pair).

There's also the issue that they'd need to be willing to sponsor me for a visa and get me through immigration.

Given these i
... See more
My hope is to find in-house employment with an agency (or a different type of business that needs a translator) in the UK or US and I'm wondering how realistic is this?

I think there's two issues:

I don't know how common is it for agencies in US/UK to hire in-house translators (particular ones with English Croatian pair).

There's also the issue that they'd need to be willing to sponsor me for a visa and get me through immigration.

Given these issues (and maybe others I'm not thinking of), is this a realistic possibility?

To be clear, I'm hoping to move and work in-house, not remote freelance work.

[Edited at 2017-08-18 14:28 GMT]
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:01
German to English
Unlikely in the US Aug 18, 2017

Relatively few agencies are hiring in-house translators these days, and those that do tend to hire staff who can translate into or out of the more common commercial languages. They rely on freelancers for the less common languages, since the demand is relatively low, particularly in the US, and wouldn't justify a full-time staff position.

Given the current political climate in the US, it's becoming harder for companies to sponsor foreign nationals for permanent positions.

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Unlikely in the UK Aug 21, 2017

Several years ago, I used to browse through employment websites to see what in-house translation positions were available, and I never saw a single advert for an English-Croatian translator. There were just a handful of positions, mainly for German/French translators.

[Edited at 2017-08-21 08:55 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Would an US/UK agency hire a Croatian translator in-house?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »