How to quickly correct a translation using XBench?
Thread poster: TrM Translations
TrM Translations
TrM Translations
Hungary
Local time: 11:12
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Sep 22, 2017

Hi,
We have been testing Apsic XBench and it seems that if it identifies errors within a Trados file, the only way these errors can be corrected is if I right click on the error, wait until it is opened in Trados, correct it there, go back to Apsic and move along to the next error. This seems like a very large overhead. Is there an easier way. The most straightforward would be to do the corrections in Apsic real quick and have Apsic feed the changes back into the Trados file, but I haven't
... See more
Hi,
We have been testing Apsic XBench and it seems that if it identifies errors within a Trados file, the only way these errors can be corrected is if I right click on the error, wait until it is opened in Trados, correct it there, go back to Apsic and move along to the next error. This seems like a very large overhead. Is there an easier way. The most straightforward would be to do the corrections in Apsic real quick and have Apsic feed the changes back into the Trados file, but I haven't seen any functionality to this end.
Thanks for the tips in advance,
Regards,
Istvan Fulop
Collapse

pep
pep
English to Spanish
It's designed this way Sep 22, 2017

Whenever possible, Xbench uses the native editor of the file format. This is designed like this to ensure data integrity at all times to make impossible that you lose your work.

For example, if you update Trados Studio and with the update the Studio internal file format changes in subtle ways, Xbench will never corrupt the file because it will call the only editor that is fully compatible with the new, updated file format.

It helps to get used to use the keyboard and n
... See more
Whenever possible, Xbench uses the native editor of the file format. This is designed like this to ensure data integrity at all times to make impossible that you lose your work.

For example, if you update Trados Studio and with the update the Studio internal file format changes in subtle ways, Xbench will never corrupt the file because it will call the only editor that is fully compatible with the new, updated file format.

It helps to get used to use the keyboard and not the mouse to switch back and forth. For example, Ctrl+E (instead of right-click) to go from Xbench to Trados and Alt+Tab to go from Trados back to Xbench.
Collapse

TrM Translations
TrM Translations
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mass replacements Sep 25, 2017

pep wrote:

Thanks. And how to handle mass replacements consistently? Do you replace all occurrences in Trados and run the analysis in XBench again?

Darius Sciuka
Darius Sciuka  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 12:12
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Iterations Sep 25, 2017

Basically yes, you correct all genuine errors in Trados then refresh the files in Xbench and run the analysis again to confirm that all errors have been fixed and your corrections have not introduced new ones. When all that's left are false positives you're done.

I see you have your doubts about this tool, but as far as my experience goes it significantly speeds up my QA procedures, mostly due to the fact that I can go through the list of issues very quickly, which cannot be said ab
... See more
Basically yes, you correct all genuine errors in Trados then refresh the files in Xbench and run the analysis again to confirm that all errors have been fixed and your corrections have not introduced new ones. When all that's left are false positives you're done.

I see you have your doubts about this tool, but as far as my experience goes it significantly speeds up my QA procedures, mostly due to the fact that I can go through the list of issues very quickly, which cannot be said about built-in Studio QA checker.
Collapse

pep
pep
English to Spanish
Yes, you do global search and replace in the home editor Sep 26, 2017

TrM Translations wrote:

Thanks. And how to handle mass replacements consistently? Do you replace all occurrences in Trados and run the analysis in XBench again?

Yes, if you run into a Global Search and Replace case, you do it with the home editor and then run a regression in Xbench to ensure everything went well.

In essence, Xbench aims to be a browser (not an editor) that allows you to see your translations from other points of view. Please note that not only QA checks but also the search functionality is extremely useful for QA activities and terminology decisions.

Xbench focuses in trying to to load files very fast and present results in ways that allow to visually discard false positives (or allow you to make terminology decisions) very quickly. This allows you to do very fast regressions by almost instantly reloading files.

In fact, the only case where Xbench acts as an editor is for Transifex, where you can edit a segment directly in Xbench.

TrM Translations
TrM Translations
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 27, 2017

Thank you for the input, this makes it much more clear now.

Roy Williams
Roy Williams  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
What about cleaning up a TM? Oct 4, 2017

I'm also testing Xbench 3.0 and I thought it would be a good way to also clean up my TM in MemoQ. However I can't seem to get Xbench to open the TM editor in MemoQ from the TMX file I imported.

I went to the settings and entered the path to the executable file form MemoQ and the path for the TM's file name, but I don't now what it needs
for the line, column and segment values.

Has anyone else tried this?

I should also note that Im still using MemoQ 6
... See more
I'm also testing Xbench 3.0 and I thought it would be a good way to also clean up my TM in MemoQ. However I can't seem to get Xbench to open the TM editor in MemoQ from the TMX file I imported.

I went to the settings and entered the path to the executable file form MemoQ and the path for the TM's file name, but I don't now what it needs
for the line, column and segment values.

Has anyone else tried this?

I should also note that Im still using MemoQ 6.0x

[Edited at 2017-10-04 14:00 GMT]
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:12
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
If you want to clean up a TMX memory with Xbench, pair it with a good text editor (like Notepad++) Oct 4, 2017

Roy Williams wrote:

If it is a TMX file you are trying to edit, it makes more sense to use Xbench and then a text editor like Notepad++: you find inconsistencies and errors using Xbench, then correct them in the TMX memory using the text editor.

Roy Williams
Austria
German to English
Notepad opens by default Oct 5, 2017

Hi Riccardo,

Thanks for the info. I did notice that for .xtm files, xbench calls Notepad when I have the default settings selected. However, it does not highlight the corresponding segment and reopens the tmx file in a separate window for each segment that I click to edit. How does one define the parameters to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Roy

pep
pep
English to Spanish
In Tools->Settings->TMX Editor Oct 5, 2017

Thanks for the info. I did notice that for .xtm files, xbench calls Notepad when I have the default settings selected. However, it does not highlight the corresponding segment and reopens the tmx file in a separate window for each segment that I click to edit. How does one define the parameters to solve this problem?

You can define the command-line arguments using $file, $line variables.

For TMX, they are defined here:

https://docs.xbench.net/online-help/dialogs/settings/tmx-editor/

But if you plan to use Notepad++ check the configuration here

https://docs.xbench.net/online-help/dialogs/settings/text-editor/

Finally another option is Sublime Text, it opens big files relatively fast.

For Sublime Text, the command-line arguments would be $filename:$line:$column I think.

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:12
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Also, depending on what changes you need to do to your TMX memory... Oct 6, 2017

Roy Williams wrote:

Hi Riccardo,

Thanks in advance,

Roy

Hi Roy,

In addition to what Pep suggested about the settings, bear in mind that depending on the changes you need to make to your memory, it might make more sense to first run the QA report in Xbench, and only then use your text editor for search and replace operations on the TMX file. For that you need a text editor that allows you to do regular expression search and replace operations, and that allows you to see all the results of a search at once (Notepad++ is one such, but of course there are other excellent editors with similar functionality.)

Roy Williams
Austria
German to English
Thanks! Oct 9, 2017

@Riccardo and Pep, I'm up and running! Thanks for your help!

pep
pep
English to Spanish
Another option might be memoQ as TMX editor Oct 10, 2017

@Roy, I'm not sure if memoQ 6.x supports TMX as input for a translation file. In more recent versions it surely does.

If it does, you can probably do the following for better tag protection, etc:

1. Import the TMX file as Translation document in memoQ.
2. If using memoQ 6.0 to memoQ 2013 R2, watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkEgQov5HY0 If using
... See more
@Roy, I'm not sure if memoQ 6.x supports TMX as input for a translation file. In more recent versions it surely does.

If it does, you can probably do the following for better tag protection, etc:

1. Import the TMX file as Translation document in memoQ.
2. If using memoQ 6.0 to memoQ 2013 R2, watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkEgQov5HY0 If using memoQ 2014 or earlier, watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECAPbKtCiJY
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to quickly correct a translation using XBench?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »