Thread poster: Eileen Brophy
Eileen Brophy
Eileen Brophy  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 12, 2011

Can anyone tell me how to save a target file in 2009, I translated a word doc that had been converted from a PDF file and when I tried to save the target file, it keep telling me that there was an error.

This is the message I got on the error note from SDL:
- Length cannot be less than zero. Parameter name: length - System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 length Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.Word
... See more
Can anyone tell me how to save a target file in 2009, I translated a word doc that had been converted from a PDF file and when I tried to save the target file, it keep telling me that there was an error.

This is the message I got on the error note from SDL:
- Length cannot be less than zero. Parameter name: length - System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 length Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.Word

It is a lot longer but I don't think I should post it all on here.

I'd appreciate any help as I have to deliver the translation and can't because I can't produce the target text and my client doesn't know how to save the target test either.

Thank you very much for your help.

Eileen
Collapse

HH Liefers
HH Liefers
English to German
Is the translation "verified"? Nov 13, 2011

Hi Eileen, whenever that happens to me, the first step is to verify the segments (may be some tags are missing, causing the problem).
Tools > Verify (or, if you didn't change the shortcuts: F8)

Just an idea, you may already have completed this step.

pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
English to Italian
+ ...
Try converting your doc Nov 13, 2011

Sometimes this does the trick:

1) Open your doc in Word
2) Save it as a RTF file
3) Load your RTF file in Trados
4) Pre-translate it with your existing TM
5) do Save target as... for the bilingual RTF

Doc from PDFc onversion often contains hidden tags that Trados has difficulties in dealing with. Converting the doc to RTF gets rid of the tags.

Eileen Brophy
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have tried both suggestions but no luck :-0(( Nov 13, 2011

Thank you both for your suggestions but it seems that I may need an online intervention by the SDL experts themselves.
I will wait and see it they can help me tomorrow, it may well be a problem with the programme itself and not just the doc.

Thanks anyway for your time. I really do appreciate it.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Can we see the files? Nov 13, 2011

Hello Eileen,

If you can send me your translated sdlxliff and your original source I'll be happy to take a look for you?

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

Eileen Brophy
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Send it to you? Nov 13, 2011

Do you want me to send it to your email address Paul?
You will save my life!!

Eileen Brophy
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem resolved Nov 13, 2011

Well folks, I can't say what exactly was the problem, but the help given to my Paul was exactly what I needed.

I think it may have been the conversion of the Word file from PDF but Paul may well explain that better than I have.

Another thing too, is my need for more knowledge about how to use Trados CAT Tools, but that is a dream at present as I need the money for other things, like food and a flight home to visit my sister who has cancer and my mother with Alzheimer's
... See more
Well folks, I can't say what exactly was the problem, but the help given to my Paul was exactly what I needed.

I think it may have been the conversion of the Word file from PDF but Paul may well explain that better than I have.

Another thing too, is my need for more knowledge about how to use Trados CAT Tools, but that is a dream at present as I need the money for other things, like food and a flight home to visit my sister who has cancer and my mother with Alzheimer's (what a scenario!!)

Anyway Paul has been a great help to me and am sure he will be to others too as he seems to enjoy what he does too. :-0))
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I can't save target file in Trados Studio 2009

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »