Thread poster: Megan M Smith
Megan M Smith
Megan M Smith
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:02
French to English
+ ...
Mar 22, 2017

I just wanted to bring up what I believe to be a potential scam.

I received an email a couple of weeks ago from an individual who found me through Proz. They said they had a document to be translated and asked for my rates.

I replied asking for more information about the potential project. I didn't hear anything back until this morning. They had replied saying "please find the document to be translated attached". A few things didn't sit well with me so I did some diggin
... See more
I just wanted to bring up what I believe to be a potential scam.

I received an email a couple of weeks ago from an individual who found me through Proz. They said they had a document to be translated and asked for my rates.

I replied asking for more information about the potential project. I didn't hear anything back until this morning. They had replied saying "please find the document to be translated attached". A few things didn't sit well with me so I did some digging and found that this person's name had been mentioned on Proz before, in the context of another type of scam. The scammer has obviously now changed tactics.

It seems that due to Proz rules I cannot name this person but, in any case, I just wanted to warn people to be suspicious of any emails that come out of the blue asking you to do some translation work and then presumptuously sending it to you several weeks later. Do some digging before accepting.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 21:02
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Please Mar 22, 2017

submit a support ticket and provide all details about this person.

Thank you.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I received it too Mar 22, 2017

This morning, I too received the email Megan describes. It came from a person using the same name as in another email which, like Megan, I had received a couple of weeks previously and which I reported to Proz as a scam at the time.
I sent both messages to the bin.
Should I report this morning's message to Proz as a sequel to the first scamming attempt?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Report it and we'll be informed Mar 22, 2017

Please send everything you have to the ProZ.com Scam Centre.

Once it's confirmed to be a scam all those of us who have signed up for alerts will be informed.

Yunping Yang
Yunping Yang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 04:02
English to Chinese
+ ...
Me too... Mar 24, 2017

Worst of all, the scammer sent the same email three times within 10 minutes.
It's really annoying.

[Edited at 2017-03-24 00:15 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Potential email scam

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »