Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >
SCAM ALERT: Freelancers and agencies, please beware of a scammer impersonating real translators
Thread poster: Lucia Leszinsky
Catherine Howard
Catherine Howard
United States
Local time: 17:13
Portuguese to English
+ ...
scammer blacklist May 2, 2013

Ben Kohn wrote:

I have been a victim of this kind of scam. Someone calling herself Sura Ralph has stolen my CV. She just changed the name and email on it and also (inexplicably) left my phone numbers and company name and website.

Does anyone know if there is a blacklist to which I can add this scammer's "name"?

Ben - How sad to hear you've been victimized. There are a number of general anti-scammer websites where you can report scammers. However, for translators/interpreters in particular, the Payment Practices website is a great site to consult about any potential client and to report information about specific scammers' names and contact information. Its blacklist helped me identify a scammer who contacted me with a fake job. The website is at http://www.paymentpractices.net
Their blacklist is at http://www.paymentpractices.net/Scams.aspx

Good luck!

[Edited at 2013-05-02 22:50 GMT]

Catherine Howard
Catherine Howard
United States
Local time: 17:13
Portuguese to English
+ ...
outrageous blackmail! May 2, 2013

Kaori Myatt wrote:

Recently I was approached many times from www.TranslationSecrets.com [email protected], [email protected]

Also Bisan Jonathan (Skype: bisan.jonathan) by Skype.

They asked me for my CV. I sent them my latest CV.
And now see what happened... they created my false Gmail addresses using my maden name and my name.

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

and impersonate and send my CV to literary all of the agencies on the proz directory. ...
...I have reached to bisan jonathan and asked him not to use my CV. ....

...they asked me to pay 500USD to give me password of these Email addresses which they created using my names!

Kaori

Dear Kaori - I am outraged to hear that you are being blackmailed this way!! Since it has gone from impersonation to blackmail, I think you have a criminal case that goes beyond a scam and you may be able to get help from other national and international law enforcement agencies. I have to admit I never heard of this blackmailing scheme before and don't know what the remedies are - I hope Proz.com addresses it further. My heart goes out to you!
Catherine

BrenElKha (X)
BrenElKha (X)
United States
Local time: 16:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
OMG! May 3, 2013

I am so sorry for what is happening to you, Kaori. Hope with all my heart this can get solved and those stupid scammers really get what they deserve. As Catherine has stated, this is already a serious criminal case given that they're blackmailing you.

Good luck and positive vibes!

Kaori Myatt wrote:

Thank you so much for this topic.

I would like to share my experience too.

Recently I was approached many times from www.TranslationSecrets.com [email protected], [email protected]

Also Bisan Jonathan (Skype: bisan.jonathan) by Skype.

They asked me for my CV. I sent them my latest CV.
And now see what happened... they created my false Gmail addresses using my maden name and my name.

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

and impersonate and send my CV to literary all of the agencies on the proz directory. Some of my agency Project managers kindly sent me the unsolicited Emails that "I" sent to them while I am already in business with them.

These clever agencies are already aware of this type of Scam but some would believe that I sent these Emails...

I have reached to bisan jonathan and asked him not to use my CV. They admitted that they have sent my CV. They told me I have signed the agreement but I told them that I did not agree to them to impersonate. I asked them not to send my CV anymore to anyone. Then they asked me to pay 500USD to give me password of these Email addresses which they created using my names!

I am very angry, already reported this incident to Gmail and Cyber Crime Centre.

I would like to warn all the agencies. please be aware.

Thanks

Kaori

Jiang Xia
Jiang Xia  Identity Verified
China
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
asking for advice!!! May 5, 2013

recently I did a job for www.translationsecrets.com,before accpeting the job,I just searched on blueboard but nothing showed,of course I realized that the PM has no formal company email but using gmail to contact me, this is the email:[email protected],what I am worry about is can I get my payment???have you ever cooperated with this agency?Did you get you payment from their side???

Pierluigi Bernardini
Pierluigi Bernardini  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:13
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
Same here May 6, 2013

Matthias Staudt wrote:

Hello all,
thanks for opening this helpful topic.
I received an email that appears to be a variation of a scam that has been already described. Beware!
Kind regards,
Matthias

The text is as follows:
-----
Dear Matthias
as apart of my work , I am doing my best to find translators

who are qualified enough to be with me in my work , so
after
I have read your CV , and found it so interesting . I see it
will
be more than Great to work with a translator as skilled as

you
so do please send me your CV and your cover letter to my e-
mail address
[email protected]
to be with me in the upcoming work

Kind regards
Project Manger
Jasmine

-----

I have just received an email that goes like that:

Dear Pierluigi

after
will

you
mail address
[email protected]

Kind regards
Project Manger
Jasmine
Skype Jasmine.adamz

Giovanna Alessandra Meloni
Giovanna Alessandra Meloni  Identity Verified
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
translationsecrets May 10, 2013

I receive another e mail from someone who tells to be its PM, and I think I am not the only one receive this e mail (it was sent to me in ccn)

Dear translator,

Would you be available for a short translation only 2 pages to be translated into Italian?

Alshiqaqi
Project Manager
www.translationsecrets.com

Giuseppe Bellone
Giuseppe Bellone
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Hi Giovanna and all of you May 12, 2013

On the same day, i.e. 10 May, I received the same letter as yours.
I actually don't know what they want and what they think they are doing; I've had some strange suspects in the past few months, strange requests and strange answers only after my repeated requests for more information.
Now I don't answer them any more; they have contacted me on several occasions, often requesting the translation in a very short time, which I politely declined!
I've never done anything for them,
... See more
On the same day, i.e. 10 May, I received the same letter as yours.
I actually don't know what they want and what they think they are doing; I've had some strange suspects in the past few months, strange requests and strange answers only after my repeated requests for more information.
Now I don't answer them any more; they have contacted me on several occasions, often requesting the translation in a very short time, which I politely declined!
I've never done anything for them, and I probably never will.
They may certainly be in good faith, but my doubts unfortunately remain.

Kind regards,

Giuseppe

Here's the same letter as Giovanna's:

Dear translator,

Would you be available for a short translation only 2 pages to be translated into Italian?

Alshiqaqi
Project Manager
www.translationsecrets.com

------

[Modificato alle 2013-05-12 15:02 GMT]
Collapse

Norskpro
Norskpro
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Scammer with different names May 12, 2013

The same people seem to be behind both Translationsecrets and Languagemet.
Their web pages show that both have the same text, including the misspelling of "freelancers":

http://www.translationsecrets.com/ :

We are always looking for talented freelances, computer experts and secretaries to join our team. All are required to go through a stringent selection process.
... See more
Their web pages show that both have the same text, including the misspelling of "freelancers":

We are always looking for talented freelances, computer experts and secretaries to join our team. All are required to go through a stringent selection process.

http://www.languagemet.com/languagemet/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemid=58 :

Collapse

Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
agree May 13, 2013

Giuseppe Bellone wrote:
I've never done anything for them, and I probably never will.
They may certainly be in good faith, but my doubts unfortunately remain.

Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
once more May 14, 2013

I've just received another job offer from the same scammer, the message is almost the copy of the previous one.

Obvioulsy my address is always in CCN

Alain Alameddine
Alain Alameddine  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 23:13
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Also: May 14, 2013

Dear translator,

Hope you are enjoying a good health.

I am Murad Zedan, a project manager in LanguageMet company.
We have huge number of projects monthly.
We have a different policy at our company, that we market CVs and Cover letters of the translators for (huge database) our clients and translation companies websites around the world then we have too many projects that we must directly forward it to you and you have the right to do these projects because i
... See more
Dear translator,

Hope you are enjoying a good health.

I am Murad Zedan, a project manager in LanguageMet company.
We have huge number of projects monthly.
We have a different policy at our company, that we market CVs and Cover letters of the translators for (huge database) our clients and translation companies websites around the world then we have too many projects that we must directly forward it to you and you have the right to do these projects because it comes on behalf of your CV and cooperation, that's if you are joining our team.
If you are interested to join our team, Please sign the agreement which is attached and then send your CV and cover letter .

If you have any question, don't hesitate to ask me about.

Waiting for your prompt reply.

Kind Regards,
Murad
Collapse

Jiang Xia
China
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
scam? May 16, 2013

----- [/quote]

Dear Pierluigi

after
will

you
mail
... See more
----- [/quote]

Dear Pierluigi

after
will

you
mail address
[email protected]

Kind regards
Project Manger
Jasmine
Skype Jasmine.adamz
[/quote]

DO not believe this company---languagement,I had done several jobs for them,the first ones are ok,paid on time, but the last one--delivered aroud 12th March,still not paid,which they promised to pay within 2 days after invoice but not,never reply your email,always promised to pay for your each quiry,but never!!!!!
Collapse

Jiang Xia
China
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
good result May 16, 2013

jim summer wrote:

recently I did a job for www.translationsecrets.com,before accpeting the job,I just searched on blueboard but nothing showed,of course I realized that the PM has no formal company email but using gmail to contact me, this is the email:[email protected],what I am worry about is can I get my payment???have you ever cooperated with this agency?Did you get you payment from their side???

for this job,I have recieved my payment within a week,but no future cooperation perhaps,since it's a war-torn country!

Jiang Xia
China
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
OMG!!!!!!!! May 16, 2013

Norskpro wrote:

http://www.languagemet.com/languagemet/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemid=58 :

thanks a lot Norskpro,
you really have a sharp eye for this.

Haluk Levent Aka (X)
Haluk Levent Aka (X)
Local time: 00:13
Japanese to Turkish
+ ...
Whois? May 28, 2013

Hi,

I have very limited time so I didn't read all the messages (forgive me if already pointed out): did you try to run a whois query on the aforementioned website? Domain Owner appears to be Imad Almaghary (who was, apparently, a member of Proz once - because there are postings under his name).

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SCAM ALERT: Freelancers and agencies, please beware of a scammer impersonating real translators

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »