What shortcuts/tips do you wish you had known when you first started using MemoQ?
Thread poster: FreelanceBass
FreelanceBass
FreelanceBass
United States
Local time: 05:07
Japanese to English
Jun 8, 2017

I'm new to MemoQ and get the feeling that I could be going about things a bit more efficiently. To this end, I would like to ask veterans of MemoQ:

What features of this program do you wish you had known when you first started using it? Or what, upon learning, significantly improved your experience with the product? Anything is okay - shortcuts, general advice, etc.

Although this question will be most helpful for beginners, hopefully we could all learn something that
... See more
I'm new to MemoQ and get the feeling that I could be going about things a bit more efficiently. To this end, I would like to ask veterans of MemoQ:

What features of this program do you wish you had known when you first started using it? Or what, upon learning, significantly improved your experience with the product? Anything is okay - shortcuts, general advice, etc.

Although this question will be most helpful for beginners, hopefully we could all learn something that will improve our own respective workflows in MemoQ.
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 11:07
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Resources get corrupt, a lot Jun 8, 2017

The one tip I wish I had known before I started using memoQ is that its light resources get corrupt frequently and there's no way of restoring the data in them, for which you might have spent a considerable amount of time.

So, you need to keep in mind that there's no point in devoting time and effort in creating any kind of light resources: things like auto-translatables or ignore lists for the spell checker.

[Edited at 2017-06-08 18:10 GMT]

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:07
German to Turkish
+ ...
Backups? Jun 8, 2017

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

The one tip I wish I had known before I started using memoQ is that its light resources get corrupt frequently and there's no way of restoring the data in them, for which you might have spent a considerable amount of time.

So, you need to keep in mind that there's no point in devoting time and effort in creating any kind of light resources: things like auto-translatables or ignore lists for the spell checker.

Isn't it possible to have backup copies or else?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:07
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Backups? Jun 8, 2017

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

Why not use something like CrashPlan or Macrium Reflect? No matter what happens to a particular CAT tool on my computer today, I can always easily turn back the clock to yesterday, including yesterday's light resources (although I use Déjà Vu X3 these days).

Michael

[Edited at 2017-06-08 21:41 GMT]

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 11:07
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Corrupt, not lost Jun 9, 2017

I didn't say I lose the files; I said they get corrupt: I try to import a resource file and memoQ throws a "General error"—because all errors are of the general kind according to Kilgray, it seems.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What shortcuts/tips do you wish you had known when you first started using MemoQ?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »