How to activate special character "ligature" like "oeuf" in French in target text ?
Trådens avsändare: nordiste

nordiste  Identity Verified
Frankrike
Local time: 21:27
Engelska till Franska
+ ...
May 8

I translate into French.
I need a special character which is not on the keyword: it is call "ligature" and it is a fusion of 2 characters, o + e in some specific words, as in "œuf" or "bœuf" (egg or beef).
When I type in Word (French version), as soon as the word "oeuf" is completed the MS software activates the fusion and replaces the 2 distinct oe by the ligature " œ ".

Is there a way to program a rule somewhere in memoQ with a list of words using this ligature to have an automated conversion/fusion?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Tyskland
Local time: 21:27
Medlem (2014)
Franska till Danska
+ ...
Use Alt codes May 8

On Windows you use Alt codes.

œ = Alt + 0156
Π= Alt + 0140


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spanien
Local time: 21:27
Medlem (2005)
Engelska till Spanska
+ ...
A termbase entry? May 8

For words and phrases I find cumbersome to type in my translations into Spanish, I simply add a termbase entry with the target translation, so that the memoQ's predictive typing feature helps you insert the word. You can also use Ctrl and the number of the term in the translation results list to enter the term easily.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Adrien Esparron
Frankrike
Local time: 21:27
Medlem (2007)
Tyska till Franska
+ ...
ASCII code or a customized keyboard May 8

nordiste wrote:

Is there a way to program a rule somewhere in memoQ with a list of words using this ligature to have an automated conversion/fusion?



I don't know in MemoQ, but it could be interesting to consider the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator, with an excellent Tuto, here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Gai7gRb5k&feature=youtu.be

You can apply this demonstration to any other character you need. Useful not only in a CAT tool.

Enjoy!


Direct link Reply with quote
 
JL01  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 15:27
Engelska till Franska
+ ...
Spell checker?? May 8

Doesn't MemoQ spell checker suggest the correction, like Word's own spell checker, at least?


nordiste wrote:

Is there a way to program a rule somewhere in memoQ with a list of words using this ligature to have an automated conversion/fusion?



Direct link Reply with quote
 

Catherine De Crignis  Identity Verified
Frankrike
Local time: 21:27
Medlem (2012)
Engelska till Franska
+ ...
Spellchecker Jun 19

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

For words and phrases I find cumbersome to type in my translations into Spanish, I simply add a termbase entry with the target translation, so that the memoQ's predictive typing feature helps you insert the word. You can also use Ctrl and the number of the term in the translation results list to enter the term easily.



So do I, Tomás. I even enter easy-to-type but very common words.
Trouble with "œuf" is that the first letter can’t be typed as such, so it doesn’t get recognised by the predictive typing feature. I simply type "oeuf" and let the spellchecker do its work.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 15:27
Medlem (2008)
Franska till Engelska
International keyboard Jun 19

On my US-international keyboard, it's Ctrl+Shift+& then o = œ

However, strangely, although this is a Windows shortcut, it works in some programs but not others.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Grekland
Local time: 22:27
Medlem (2008)
Engelska till Grekiska
+ ...
Assign a symbol shortcut in memoQ Jun 20

When editing your document, do the following:

  1. Go to the Edit ribbon tab.

  2. In the Special Characters group, click on Frequent Symbols to reveal a menu.

  3. On this menu, click Customize Symbol Shortcuts.

  4. Pick the character you want from the character map, assign the shortcut you want and click Save.


I hope this helps.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spanien
Local time: 21:27
Medlem (2005)
Engelska till Spanska
+ ...
Ooops Jun 20

Catherine De Crignis wrote:
Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
For words and phrases I find cumbersome to type in my translations into Spanish, I simply add a termbase entry with the target translation, so that the memoQ's predictive typing feature helps you insert the word. You can also use Ctrl and the number of the term in the translation results list to enter the term easily.

So do I, Tomás. I even enter easy-to-type but very common words.
Trouble with "œuf" is that the first letter can’t be typed as such, so it doesn’t get recognised by the predictive typing feature.

Oh, you are absolutely right! I hadn't thought of that. However, selecting the termbase entry by the normal Ctrl+ or double-clicking does the job.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to activate special character "ligature" like "oeuf" in French in target text ?

Advanced search






Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Sök term
  • Jobb
  • Forum
  • Multiple search