Translating Studio Package in MemoQ: Can't join segments
Thread poster: Nawal Kramer
Nawal Kramer
Nawal Kramer
United States
Spanish to English

Apr 25, 2017

I am working in MemoQ 2015.

I am translating a Studio package and I need to join certain segments, but it is not allowing me to.

It allows me to join some segments, but not the ones I need. It becomes non-clickable when I highlight the two segments I need to merge.

Thank you!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:35
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Unfortunately... Apr 25, 2017

...that is indeed the case. You might want to double-check with Kilgray's support people just in case, but I think there are limitations joining segments in memoQ when translating SDLXLIFF files.

What I do when I really need to translate two segments together is edit the second segment to copy its contents to the Clipboard, then replacing that segment with a simple space, then editing the first segment to paste the text after the text in the first line. You end up with a first segme
... See more
...that is indeed the case. You might want to double-check with Kilgray's support people just in case, but I think there are limitations joining segments in memoQ when translating SDLXLIFF files.

What I do when I really need to translate two segments together is edit the second segment to copy its contents to the Clipboard, then replacing that segment with a simple space, then editing the first segment to paste the text after the text in the first line. You end up with a first segment with all the text and a simple space in the second segment. Yes, it sounds terrible and is cumbersome when you have very many split segments coming from a SDLXLIFF file, but at least I can translate full units of meaning and keep my TM nice and clean.
Collapse

Enote
Enote  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:35
English to Russian
Maybe it's not MemoQ fault Apr 25, 2017

Sometimes I translate the same Studio project both in Studio and in MemoQ. I noticed that segments, which cannot be joined in MemoQ, also cannot be joined in Studio. It seems that MemoQ just follows some original Studio's restrictions.

Nawal Kramer
Nawal Kramer
United States
Spanish to English

TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Tomás! Apr 25, 2017

Thank you for your help. It's a shame that there isn't a simpler workaround, but your way will work fine and will keep the TM "nice and clean" as you mentioned.

Out of curiosity, have you had any client feedback or complaints after having done this?

Thanks again!

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

What I do when I really need to translate two segments together is edit the second segment to copy its contents to the Clipboard, then replacing that segment with a simple space, then editing the first segment to paste the text after the text in the first line. You end up with a first segment with all the text and a simple space in the second segment. Yes, it sounds terrible and is cumbersome when you have very many split segments coming from a SDLXLIFF file, but at least I can translate full units of meaning and keep my TM nice and clean.

Nawal Kramer
Nawal Kramer
United States
Spanish to English

TOPIC STARTER
Segments can be joined after editing the source! Apr 25, 2017

I noticed that after you edit the source segments, you are able to join them (and remove the empty segments).

They look perfect!

Is there any reason that this would affect the Trados file when I deliver it?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:35
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Two cents Apr 25, 2017

Nawal Kramer wrote:
Out of curiosity, have you had any client feedback or complaints after having done this?

No complaints at all for many years, so I reckon it does not harm the Studio files.

Nawal Kramer wrote:
I noticed that after you edit the source segments, you are able to join them (and remove the empty segments).
They look perfect! Is there any reason that this would affect the Trados file when I deliver it?

Hm... I would not be 100% confident that it will work well. It is best that you tell your customers what you have done and let them confirm that everything works nicely.

Nawal Kramer
Nawal Kramer
United States
Spanish to English

TOPIC STARTER
Agreed Apr 25, 2017

Yes, that was my plan. Thanks again for your time, Tomás!

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Nawal Kramer wrote:

No complaints at all for many years, so I reckon it does not harm the Studio files.

Nawal Kramer wrote:
They look perfect! Is there any reason that this would affect the Trados file when I deliver it?

Hm... I would not be 100% confident that it will work well. It is best that you tell your customers what you have done and let them confirm that everything works nicely.

Anthony Veretyuk
Anthony Veretyuk
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:35
English to Russian
+ ...
join issue Apr 26, 2017

The answers proposed above were quite nice but tell us please, haven't you create a VIEW to work in it? Because using the file in the View can cause joining and splitting issues.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Studio Package in MemoQ: Can't join segments

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »