Thread poster: Sam Haugh
Sam Haugh
Sam Haugh  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 08:55
Japanese to English
Jun 17, 2014

Hello,

I am currently a novice translator and I am just doing some information gathering.
If you could develop a particular specializing in Japanese to English translation, what would be specialize in?

I was thinking of starting to specialize in technical translation because there seems to be a large number of work out there. Manuals etc.

What has the most demand, what pays the most? The answers to these sorts of questions would be great!

... See more
Hello,

I am currently a novice translator and I am just doing some information gathering.
If you could develop a particular specializing in Japanese to English translation, what would be specialize in?

I was thinking of starting to specialize in technical translation because there seems to be a large number of work out there. Manuals etc.

What has the most demand, what pays the most? The answers to these sorts of questions would be great!

Regards,

Sam
Collapse

Thomas Erwin
Thomas Erwin
Japan
Local time: 08:55
Japanese to English
I was wondering the exact same thing! Nov 16, 2014

Anybody…?

tietzes (X)
tietzes (X)
Japanese to German
+ ...
good idea Nov 17, 2014

SamHaugh wrote:

Good idea, but nowadays, it's always better to be hyper-specialized, even in (former) exotic language pairs such as JA-EN. JA-EN patent translations are always in demand. But you have to know your stuff. It's not easy and you have to have an interest in (and a certain passion for, if possible) the subject area(s) as well.

I'm rather interested in finance and legal topics, so technical translation is not an option for me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you specialize in?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »