CAT tols, how many?
Thread poster: Tradupro17
CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 16:08
Optimal (but not perfect) compatibility Aug 4, 2017

David GAY wrote:

But why do agencies insist on your using/buying a specific CAT then? I had the case of an agency which wanted me to use (and buy) Transit. Are there more functionalities if you buy "the original"?

Translating CAT tool packages with the originating CAT tools is likely to bring optimal (but not always perfect) compatibility.

As to the functionality: some competitors of Transit, Studio and memoQ have a far better user experience, with lots of really useful, time saving and ergonomic features.

This is open for discussion, but IMO Transit, Studio and memoQ focus on project managers and translation companies, whereas their smaller competitors can focus on the guys and girls that do the actual work and help them to work faster, healthier and with more joy.

And I'm not exaggerating with the last part.

Pieter Beens
Pieter Beens  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
Compatibility is key Aug 10, 2017

I wrote about this issue on my blog last year: https://www.vertaalt.nu/blog/how-many-cat-tools-should-you-need/.
I am experienced in about 20 tools, all to serve my customers. They all work basically the same, although some of them have a steeper learning curve than others. In the end it all boils down to Trados and MemoQ, where MemoQ offers the best compatibility w
... See more
I wrote about this issue on my blog last year: https://www.vertaalt.nu/blog/how-many-cat-tools-should-you-need/.
I am experienced in about 20 tools, all to serve my customers. They all work basically the same, although some of them have a steeper learning curve than others. In the end it all boils down to Trados and MemoQ, where MemoQ offers the best compatibility with other file types.
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 16:08
Ergonomics is more important Aug 10, 2017

Pieter Beens wrote:

I am experienced in about 20 tools, all to serve my customers. They all work basically the same, although some of them have a steeper learning curve than others. In the end it all boils down to Trados and MemoQ, where MemoQ offers the best compatibility with other file types.

I think you forgot one mayor player, perhaps because of your language pair. I mean: Transit.

MemoQ offers the best compatibility with other file types

Perhaps, but that's not the only aspect that's relevant to (novice) users. Speed, stability, cross-platform usage, ergonomics, free support etc. can (should) all be more important.

Let's not exaggerate the complexity of SDLPPX and MQOUT packages. Some third-party CAT tools can handle them perfectly.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tols, how many?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »